http://www.newschannel5.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=2284238&h1=Hospital%20Under%20Construction%20In%20Clarksville&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=139000&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=55239456
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - A brand new hospital will soon open in the Midstate.
Construction for Clarksville's new Gateway Medical Center began two years ago.
The 270-bed facility is nearly twice the size of the old building. Patient rooms are larger. There is additional space in the emergency room. Twelve new doctors have been recruited. Hospital officials hope to hire at least 20 more new physicians. It is expected to open in June. The old Gateway Medical Center will be torn down. The land will be developed into retail space.
Construction for Clarksville's new Gateway Medical Center began two years ago.
The 270-bed facility is nearly twice the size of the old building. Patient rooms are larger. There is additional space in the emergency room. Twelve new doctors have been recruited. Hospital officials hope to hire at least 20 more new physicians. It is expected to open in June. The old Gateway Medical Center will be torn down. The land will be developed into retail space.
And this article was one of the ones in the Tennessean about Drew today......
Drew Maddux was one of the most popular basketball players in Vanderbilt history.
A self-confessed gym rat, Maddux was an All-SEC guard who graduated in 1998. He is the school's seventh all-time scoring leader, tied for first in steals and sixth in both career 3-pointers and assists.
When the cheers died and he wasn't serenaded with loud choruses of "Druuuuu,'' every time he made a clutch 3-pointer in pickup games, Maddux did what most college grads do — he got a job.
A self-confessed gym rat, Maddux was an All-SEC guard who graduated in 1998. He is the school's seventh all-time scoring leader, tied for first in steals and sixth in both career 3-pointers and assists.
When the cheers died and he wasn't serenaded with loud choruses of "Druuuuu,'' every time he made a clutch 3-pointer in pickup games, Maddux did what most college grads do — he got a job.
The personable Maddux got into sales. He married and has three young daughters.
"Growing up, I always felt I had a mind for the game. I was a student of the game, was always passionate about it,'' Maddux said.
"My parents thought coaching was really what God was calling me to do. I just kind of ignored that because who wants that lifestyle of a college coach with all that travel? And then if you coach high school, you can't make any money. So I ignored that for years.''
Maddux also played pickup basketball at Christ Presbyterian Academy and formed friendships with, among others, Sawyer Brown lead singer Mark Miller and CPA Athletics Director Mike Ellson. It all works out Three years ago, Ellson asked Maddux to coach the middle school team.
"I just loved it,'' Maddux said. "Through that team, God really showed me that coaching was where I needed to be. Then the varsity job opened up here and things just lined up perfectly. I'm thankful every day I get to get in my car and come to CPA and coach.''
Maddux had his team in the state tournament this week. It lost 70-69 to Dyer County on Wednesday night in the Class AA bracket.
Maddux played at Goodpasture under former Vanderbilt player Steve Reece. One of his teammates was future Kentucky and NBA star Ron Mercer. Mercer was Mr. Basketball in 1993 and 1994. With all that talent, they never won a state tournament. It's a life lesson Maddux is passing on to his CPA team.
"I think the pressures that were surrounding that (Goodpasture) team made us feel like we just wanted to get through that season because that was what we were supposed to do. It just didn't allow you to enjoy the experience the way you should have,'' Maddux said.
"I think the biggest lesson I learned through that disappointment was to teach these guys to enjoy every day. … Don't take anything for granted, or allow outside influences to pressures devalue or creep into what you're doing — because this experience, good or bad, is something you will remember the rest of your life.''
Like in basketball, Drew Maddux is in the right place.
Joe Biddle's column Nashville Tennessean March 13, 2008
No comments:
Post a Comment